Saturday, November 08, 2008

Oh What A Tangled Web

You guys, I have a problem. A big one. This past Sunday my Grandma told me something that completely blew my mind. I actually gasped.

My Grandma has never read Charlotte's Web.



How is this even possible? Isn't there some unwritten law that says every person who ever lived has to read/be read Charlotte's Web by the time they're ten years old? Come ON!

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the government can revoke your citizenship if you haven't read Charlotte's Web and To Kill A Mockingbird by the time you hit puberty.

My Grandma might be 85-years old, but that doesn't mean it's too late. I ordered a copy from Amazon for her and we're going to read it together. And when we get to the part where Charlotte dies and she gets all weepy, I'm going to say, "Oh yeah? You think this is bad? Imagine being seven years old and reading this book right after Bambi's mother gets shot. That shit was ROUGH."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Charlotte's Web was published in 1952, I would have been the mother of two sons. Charlotte's web did not make an impression on me for reading material for my boys. My boys were more interested comic books, and not a spider who makes friends with a pig.

Love,
Grandma

Katie said...

Sit down. I'll wait....

...are you sitting? Seriously?

I've never read the book either. I'm not in my 80's, I'm 24, but I feel deprived...