Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday: Year the Second

Last year I forced Mom to go shopping with me at 4 a.m. on Black Friday, not because I was planning to get any awesome Christmas gifts for other people. Oh no, see I was determined to get a pair of diamond earrings 80% off, and if that meant risking life and limb then fine, so be it. In the days leading up to Thanksgiving I managed to convince her that the diamond earrings would mean so much more to me if they were a gift. "Get a boyfriend," she said. "One who's stupid enough to go shopping at four in the morning." But anyone who knows my mom knows she won't let the opportunity to score a big ticket low-cost guaranteed-to-be-liked present pass her by, so it was no surprise to me that she ended up in line with me and three hundred other people at 3:30 in the morning.

Did she complain about how cold it was and how crazy she was to be there? Absolutely. But she had fun and got almost all of her Christmas shopping done in less than four hours. Now she's kinda hooked. This year we got to sleep in a little later but we're hitting more stores, and therefore probably won't get to take a Black Friday nap until noon.

Wish us luck.

No comments: