Thursday, March 13, 2008

Birthday List

Today is my dad's 51st birthday (Happy Birthday, Dad!) so in honor of his birth, I give you five* random things I love about my dad.

Item 1: One year, on his birthday, Dad sent his own mother a HUGE bouquet of flowers with a note thanking her for bringing him into the world. What a suck-up.

Item 2: He thinks of inappropriate comments and retorts at an alarmingly fast rate. You can tell if he's got a really good one because he starts laughing before he can finish saying it. He does especially well with puns, which is very annoying.

Item 3: Sometimes when I've had a bad day or I don't feel well he'll unload the dishwasher for me, even though doing the dishes is my only real "chore" in exchange for free rent and food.

Item 4: He doesn't dance often, but when he does it's pretty amazing. It's usually a mix of hula/jazz hands and an I'm too cool to be dancing facial expression, with maybe a twinge of gorilla thrown in to keep it interesting.

Item 5: At night when Mom and Dad are watching TV and unwinding after work they reach over to the middle of the couch and hold hands. It's really, really sweet, until Dad realizes you've seen it and starts groping her. Then it's just gross.

And one to grow on: He lets me eat his cereal and never complains about it, even though the Chocolate Chex is his favorite.

*You thought I was going to do 51, right? I can come up with 51 facts about Dad, but by the time he gets to item 25 or 30, he'll either be asleep or his reading glasses will be sliding off the end of his nose. If I write something obnoxious he'll act like a victim and if I write something really sweet he'll think I'm up to something. I can't win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I guess if you REALLY loved me you would have listed 51 things....

Or how about this one...

My REAL daughter would have listed 51 things...

Oh, and thanks for the new DVD. The animated version of "Sense and Sensibilities" with Russian subtitles. You shouldn't have.

No, really...You SHOULDN't have.

Fah-Zhuh